Running AQT v8 under Linux
The following notes describe how to install and run AQT v8 in the Linux using Wine. Wine is an implementation of the Windows API in Linux.
These notes were for the Ubuntu distribution of Linux. It is assumed that you have already installed Wine.
This done as follows:
- Unzip the setup file
- Right-click the setup file (aqtxxx_setup.exe) > Properties > Permissions Tab - select "Allow executing file as program"
- Right-click the setup file (aqtxxx_setup.exe) - select "Run with wine windows program loader"
Before you run AQT, you need to install the ODBC Data Access Components - this includes the ODBC Driver Manager and some ODBC Drivers.
In the past this component was called MDAC (Microsoft Data Access Components) though it is now called Data Connectivity Components. One link for downloading this is http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?familyid=7554f536-8c28-4598-9b72-ef94e038c891&displaylang=en
- before installing this, set Wine Configuration > Applications > Windows Version - to "Windows XP"
- install the package under Wine, as per the AQT install
Most of AQT runs OK in this environment. Some notes:
- You need to be running the most recent version of AQT v8. Please contact us for this.
- Menu Rollovers may appear under the menu link, though the menu will still function normally.
- Some fonts may not display correctly. If this is the case, the fonts can be changed with:
- The Cancel Queries component does not function on Wine. Options > Cancel Queries > Cancel Mode will be set to "None". Do not change this.
- File Locations - you may want to check and/or change the locations where your files are saved. This is done with Options > File Locations
- Query Builder - On the Gui tab, you will not be able to set joins by dragging a table column to another table, or deselect/select which columns to display. To build a query you will need to use the other tabs "Tables/joins" and "Columns".
- If AQT becomes unresponsive, it could be the current active window is behind the visible window. Minimize AQT to see if this is the case.
- Export to Excel or Load from Excel will not work unless Excel is installed.